Week 8 Reading and Writing


Reading and writing works for me, it's a good way of learning and memorizing things. The problem is that with the overall workload that we have it's hard to concentrate and knowing that we have to read something and then write about it for Tuesday is a tad bit depressing. Despite all that, I find the reading interesting and as someone who plays games quite often, I like discovering the process of making them in detail. I never realized how much work goes into just thinking about making a game, let alone making one. These assignments make me think about game mechanics and aesthetics and how I could implement those into games in different ways depending on the genre and style.

My favorite reading so far has to be the "Game Elements" reading. That is because it talks about abstract elements. What can keep us playing the game. The player needs to be interested in the game to keep playing further. That strongly relates to RPG's, which I'm a huge fan of, that give you choices to make and in turn consequences to those actions. Combined with a great story it can be interesting/immersive as the player needs to make moral decisions.

I'd say the readings helped me a little bit with my game. The thing is that we're all just beginners at this point and we won't make a full on RPG or whatever is such a short period of time. What the readings helped me with is understanding what is necessary for a prototype. I'm sure next semester we will be applying more of the things we learned to our game but as of right now we need the minimum amount. Basically the prototype has to be as ugly as possible and to thick the box.

I'm happy with what we're doing right now, reading and then writing about it. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone but that's how I use to study in school and it really works for me.

I can say I'm happy with my game project BUT I wish I could develop it beyond just a prototype. I'm sure I can in my own time but it would be fun to make a full game with some nice textures and animations and a fun story as a project, as well as create an open world that you can explore and add many interesting characters.

My biggest accomplishment in class was learning unity, obviously. I was kinda scared at first cause I imagined it to be a lot of coding and just general confusion. But I actually enjoy using unity and funny enough I found that 2D games are harder to make that 3D. I made some independent research and found that Unity doesn't have to be used for games alone. Stories like Adam, Blacksmith, Book of the Dead and Yggdrysil are perfect examples of that. All I can say is that I can't wait for next semester and the following years where I'll get to make better, more polished and immersive games.

Comments

Popular Posts