Growth Mindset

The Growth of Mindset isn't really a thing you hear often. This is something that I only heard of through an assignment. But I feel like everyone needs to hear about this. Most of us were brought up, as Carol Dweck states, "now" not "yet". Our mindset doesn't grow knowing we can't improve.

Now that I'm in second year of college I have a different mind set than the one I had back in primary and secondary school. Back then you fail and there is very little room for improvement, because once you finish one chapter you gotta study the next and so on. Now, however, I moved on from this fixed mindset and I now have room for development and improvement as well as more free choice in what I'm creating. Growth mindset helps me in every day life. Whether it's a hobby like drawing or guitar, or cooking or even working out, I'll keep in mind the fact that Just cause I fail once does't mean I have to stop, I can keep going and improve over time.

The learning between now(college) and then (school) is that you have a choice in what you are doing and presenting, you can truly express yourself and your work is yours and yours alone. However, learning new things can be scary especially when you don't g in depth into it. Web Development for example. Seeing so much code for the first time was horrid until it's actually explained to you and you realize how easy it actually is.

I don't think I have to learn any more about growth mindset in this semester. However, the skill is to procrastinate successfully and not completely fail your task. I'm not saying you have to procrastinate I'm saying that if you do just be careful and try not to do anything at all.

The class I'm looking forward to the most this semester is probably Multimedia. Simply the fact that we'll be making games gives me chills(in the positive sense). Bare in mind growth mindset isn't just for a single module, it's for all of them and even you personal life.

After attempting the Growth Mindset Challenge:



  • I always had a feeling that procrastinating was, in a way, a tool for me to be more creative. Yes, procrastinating is wasting time but the time "wasted" can turn into an idea or a concept that can be later developed into something great.

  • I didn't know that improving on something existing can be considered original. Surely we've all had ideas of interpreting or improving on something that already exists. However, most people probably think that improving on an existing project is unoriginal where it's quite the opposite. Also learned that "being late to the party" with your idea doesn't exactly make it unoriginal, it let's you improve on it.

  • I've always wanted to write and/or portray preexisting stories and franchises my own way. I don't wanna do direct copies, rather my own takes on stories and maybe even characters that would be significantly different. This always brings me back to games that had huge potential but failed by being repetitive and lacking in content. Games that could be so much more if more time was put into them. This article made me realize it could be done, overtime, taking something with potential that isn't exactly good and make it a game it deserves to be. With time and continuous experience I could make this a reality and make a name for myself.

Comments

Popular Posts